World's Easiest Silicone Mold.

3,301,455

Introduction: World's Easiest Silicone Mold.

About: I used to work for instructables.com, now I just make stuff. // follow me to see what I'm up to: https://www.echoechostudio.com

This simple way of silicone mold-making will have you wanting to make casts of all your trinkets and toys.

2021 Edit:

If you are looking to use this mold-making technique to do life-casting or food casting, these molds are not skin-safe or food-safe.

If you want to make a food-safe mold or life-casting, I recommend these kits:

THIS ONLY WORKS WITH 100% SILICONE

Supplies

You will need:

Step 1: Make Your Catalyzing Solution.

By mixing a high-concentration of dish soap with water in a bowl, one is actually making a catalytic bath for your silicone. The glycerine in the dish soap accelerates the cure process for of your 100% pure silicone.

This is by no means an exact science, I use blue dish soap because it allows me to see how much I have added to a water bath, I approximate that I used 4 oz. of soap in 64 oz. of water.

Step 2: Catalyzing the Silicone.

Cut off the tip of the silicone caulk tube, and set it in the caulking gun. Unload enough silicone to surround the desired object, into the bath.

I use the whole tube usually.

Step 3: Preparing the Silicone.

While keeping your hand submerged in the dish-soap catalyzing bath, gently clump the string of silicone together. Form it into a ball, and slowly massage it. Fold it, stretch it out, and work it very much like one would knead dough.

When it begins to become a bit less malleable, and stiffen, it is time to sink your positive into your material. In this case, Mike helped me, and we used his dinosaur, Jesus. (hay-zoos)

Step 4: Make Sure the Mold Is Water Tight.

The best way to make sure your mold is watertight is to add a kind of thick-ish layer of silicone to the surface area of your object. Note how the dinosaur is padded by about a 1/2" layer of silicone all around its body. Also, I have left a considerable amount of the dinosaur uncovered, as I am only casting half of this figure.

You want to make sure you can still wiggle your figure out of your mold, without any of it getting caught, otherwise it can be very tricky to extract once your mold has set.

Step 5: Let It Cure.

It will take about an hour for a full cure of your mold, before you can use it. Allow your object to remain in the mold while it cures. When the mold is no longer tacky to the touch, and feels rigid, gently remove your positive.

We kept this mold on top of the fridge, and put a bit of soapy water down on the plate so that the silicone didn't meld with the paper plate.

Also, this part smells awful. Make sure you do all this in a well-ventilated space.

Step 6: Use Your Mold!

We made a sparkly rendition of Jesus with clear casting resin and glitter. When the resin began to gel we set three LEDs inside of him. Behold the sparkliest light up dinosaur in West!

____

This project uses affiliate links that help me make more awesome DIY projects and tutorials - thanks for your support!

15 People Made This Project!

Lamps Challenge

Rice & Grains Challenge

Tkdoyle
Tkdoyle

Question 2 months ago on Introduction

I made this mold and after 2 days of letting it sit. It’s still tacky to touch. Can I put resin in it still or what should I do to make it not tacky?

rozebudd_78
rozebudd_78

Answer 5 months ago

Have you tried water beads, or something similar?

audreyobscura
audreyobscura

Reply 4 months ago

I'm not sure I know what you mean, can you elaborate?

samir zarzour
samir zarzour

I actually can't buy things online I have to ask some sellers around me get the materials I want
I'm wondering what should I get a silicone rubber 2 part a & b or a 100% silicon tube like this guide
I discovered that i was testing on a regular silicone tube
So what should I get?

lowmanbarbara
lowmanbarbara

Question 6 months ago on Step 5

Can I pour plaster of Paris in this mold

dyerlyd000
dyerlyd000

Question 8 months ago on Step 6

can you cut the mold after it sets?

HeidiI4
HeidiI4

Tip 1 year ago

will making a mold this way make the resin piece shiny and clear? I would like to add flowers to my resin and be able to see it all when it's cured.

Salinaobrien1660
Salinaobrien1660

Question 2 years ago on Step 2

I made a mold using this method, however after sitting over night the mold looked great, but after I poured my resin in and applied heat to remove bubbles it made this milky water on top of my resin! I used 100% silicone, what did I do wrong?

pot.alex8293
pot.alex8293

Answer 1 year ago

The Ressin has to be of a water base, nornal resin is of a highly Polyethylene solvent therfore reacts negatively on the Silicone base

cullum.melanie
cullum.melanie

Question 1 year ago

I used this method but I had a LOT of bubbles in the mold once it set. Any way I can avoid this? There were no soapy bubbles before I started kneading. And would pure glycerin get the same effect?

justjoyce
justjoyce

Question 2 years ago on Step 6

I tried this pin and followed carefully all directions. My silicone mold did not harden all the way, it is still sticky. I'm not sure what I could have done wrong? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

jvh24521
jvh24521

Answer 1 year ago

Probably needed to work the silicon in the water longer.

asdfgNv2
asdfgNv2

1 year ago

it looks like your finished clone is a full dinosuar, how did you make the back?

TzAngels
TzAngels

Tip 2 years ago

Just an FYI...I learned that using latex gloves will stop the silicone from curing and "doing its thing". Make sure you use Nitrile or Vinyl gloves.

exclusively-amber
exclusively-amber

Great tip, thanks to you I was able to fix my problem and I always thought to myself that maybe the gloves are messing you up but still never looked into it. It would have save me a lot of time but bright side is you are saving me even more time.

glynisambrown
glynisambrown

Question 1 year ago

This is my first project. Can you tell me how to insert a photo into an acrylic globe? Many thanks.

tlittle3335
tlittle3335

Question 2 years ago on Step 6

Hi, I am a rookie so please bare with me!!! I bought the amazing mold rubber kit and I have ran out of the catalyst but I have ALOT of the base left... is there anything I can use for the catalyst so I don’t have to waste all of this ? And if so what are the measurements? This was 2oz base with 1/4 fl oz base...( lol that’s why I ran out) oops... (just now realizing that) 😂😂😤 also what is a good (cheap) brand or way to make a lot of pourable molding products? Thank you for the help!!