Introduction: SwitchIoT 4CH - Online 4 Channel Relays Wifi Switch NodeMCU ESP8266
These are Wi-Fi enabled switches based on a great chip ESP826 NodeMCU. This connected to internet via WiFi so can be controled anywhere. Supports to connect and control 4 electrical appliances, which can be turned on/off separately by the buttons or Android use SwitchIoT 4CH App. Besides, with the multi switch, you can check real-time devices status for each device on App.
The hardware to build DIY SwitchIoT 4CH smart switches its very low price: NodeMCU board, Relay Module 4CH, Button, LED and other components.
Next, to load the firmware to NodeMCU board you don't need a computer or laptop, just need an Android smartphone with an awesome app that is SwitchIoT 4CH, with this app makes an IoT device is as easy as uploading firmware without the need for registers/login and server configurations. This tutorial will tell you how to make a DIY Sonoff 4Ch smart switch. Let's Get Started!
Step 1: Hardware Reqiered
Here are the components that you will need to make this project:
- 1 x PCB SwitchIoT 4CH (PCBWAY)
- 1 x NodeMCU Amica ESP8266
- 4 x NPN Transistor BC547
- 4 x Diode 1N4148
- 4 x Yellow LED 3mm
- 1 x Blue LED 3mm
- 8 x Resistor 1K Ohm 1/4W
- 1 x Resistor 330 Ohm 1/4W
- 4 x Tact Switch 18mm
- 4 x Relay 5VDC
- 1 x Hi-Link Step-Down 220VAC to 5VDC
- 2 x 15 pin Female Header
- 5 x 2 pin Terminal Block Screw
Step 2: Schematic
Step 3: Order PCB on PCBWAY
To make this project you need to order a prototype PCB on PCBWAY. How to order is very easy and you will get 10 Pcs PCB for $5 with very great PCB quality.
Step to Order:
1. SignUp/Log in on pcbway.com
2. Open this PCB project link.
3. Click Add to cart.
4. Wait moment for PCB review, then Click Check Out.
Step 4: Place the Components
Install all components on the PCB following the pictures and symbols on the PCB, for details you can follow step by step in the following video.
Step 5: Soldering
Solder all components on the PCB, for details you can follow step by step in the following video.
Step 6: Cutting Wire
Cut all the long legs of the component wire
Step 7: Attach NOdeMCU ESP8266 Board
After you finish soldering all of component, next you can attach the NodeMCU ESP8266 board, please attention when attach do not let it be reversed referring to the symbol on the PCB.
Step 8: Uploading Firmware From Android to NodeMCU ESP8266 Use SwitchIoT App 4CH
After you finish build hardware, it's time you start upload the firmware into the NodeMCU ESP8266. Wait before that make sure DO NOT CONNECT AC POWER during the flash cable connection.
Install app from Google Playstore.
Open the SwitchIoT 4CH app, enter to widget settings menu, select the option "Upload firmware via USB", then select radio button of Relay Active set to HIGH. Finally press the "UPLOAD" button and wait until this is done it will take a little time. If you don't have an USB OTG or you are still at risk with your phone when uploading firmware from the phone, you can generate a firmware file in binnary format (eg. 0x00000_32e5_NodeMCU.bin) by tap "GENERATE .BIN" button on App then send it to email or online storage, next open it on your computer then uploaded firmware using software NodeMCU Flasher.
Step 9: Connect SwitchIoT 4CH Hardware to a Network
After uploading is done, turn on the hardware and see what happens. The first time the status LED will blink rapidly, it means the device is not connected to any network (or in AP mode with hostname siot-xxxx), you need to add the network that will be used by the device.
Open App go to setting and choose menu "Connect device to network", confirm status LED of SwitchIoT device is blinks rapidly, connect your smartphone to a network with hostname siot-xxxx after that fill in the SSID and password a network that will be used by the SwitchIoT device. Then press "CONNECT", wait until it's done.
Step 10: Knowing Status LED Indicator
There are several conditions when the SwitchIoT 4CH hardware operates, it visible with changing of status LED.
1. The LED blinks rapidly, it means failed to connect with your router, it could be caused by:
- The WiFi strength is weak. Your router is too far away from your device, and there may be some interference in the environment. To solve it, please take your SwitchIoT 4CH hardware close to the router. If the problem still exists, please reset SwitchIoT 4CH hardware, reconnect to a network by add a network setting use App follow previous step.
- WiFi SSID and password stored in the SwitchIoT 4CH hardware has been forgotten, this can happen by pressing the button on SwitchIoT 4CH hardware for 5 seconds. you need reconnect to a network by add a network setting use App previous step.
2. The LED blinks once every 4s, it means fail to connect to the server, it could be caused by the network unable to access the Internet. Please check your network service connections and reset SwitchIoT 4CH hardware.
3. The LED steady on, it means SwitchIoT 4CH hardware works and connected to the server.
Step 11: Share SwitchIoT Token With Other User
SwitchIoT 4CH hardware owner can share fully control of the devices to others, and thus others can turn on/off, change schedule, timer, looptimer and name the device on SwitchIoT 4CH app. This functionality is great for the family as it will be allow them to control together.
The way to share SwitchIoT 4CH hardware tokens is very easy, you only need to share the unique tokens to others, and they just paste it into the SwitchIoT 4CH app.
The token of each SwitchIoT 4CH hardware is unique and is generated from your Android smartphone, therefore this token is permanent, you must handle it with care to share it with others.
Step 12: Enjoy
To the 4 channel switches you can control the ON/OFF via the app by online, as well as you can turn ON/OFF locally by pressing the switch button. Also try other interesting features in the app for ech channel switches are Schedule, Timer and Looptimer.
Hopefully you enjoy your SwitchIoT 4CH. If you do and done, please share "I Made it!" to let me know how much is worked. Share the link, like and subscribe. As always, if you have any questions please let me know!