Spider Pumpkins - Arachnophobia Jack O' Lanterns

Introduction: Spider Pumpkins - Arachnophobia Jack O' Lanterns

About: Hi, I'm a Maker of things. I'm interested in almost anything Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math.

In this instructable I make giant Halloween spiders-pumpkins from scrap rebar. These Arachnophobia inducing Jack O' Lanterns are modeled after the anatomy of Black Widow spiders.

MATERIALS

• METAL
    • 3/4" round stock
    • 3/8” rebar
    • 1/2” rebar
    • 5/8” rebar
    • steel ball bearings

TOOLS

Step 1: Drawing, Measuring, and Cutting the Parts

I referenced several images and pulled measurements to get the most life-like leg and leg segment to body (cephalothorax) and abdomen ratios. I then drew a rough sketch of the shape and layout of the Spiders.

I then cut and bent all of the rebar spider parts. I have a spreadsheet calculator that helps with the rough ratios so the body parts will have the correct proportions. I'll try to make the spreadsheet available for anyone that wants to make a spider pumpkin.

Step 2: Making the Fangs

I used a piece of 1/4" steel dowel to make the fangs. I chucked it into my drill press and carefully ground it to a point. I then heated the points an bent them on my anvil. After they cooled I cut them to the correct size.

Step 3: Assembling and Welding the Spider's Legs

I started assembling the body of the spider and added the largest diameter round stock. I then went on to welding the legs. This process is more art than design. You have to play with the angles of the leg sections to make it look the way you like. As I welded each leg I laid it on the sketch to keep track of the location.

Step 4: Welding the Fangs and Final Assembly

I then tacked the two ball bearing together and added the 1/4" bent fangs. After that I could move on to final assembly. I found it useful to have a chuck of steel to prop up the spider parts during welding. I added two spikes to the rear of the spider body to impale and hold the larger pumpkin that will eventually be the abdomen.

Step 5: Adding the Pumpkins to Make the Illusion Complete

This is the fun part! Picking the pumpkins and displaying the spiders!

Pumpkin Challenge

First Prize in the
Pumpkin Challenge

2 People Made This Project!

Rice & Grains Challenge

Lamps Challenge

Daryl_bee
Daryl_bee

1 year ago

I loved this when it came out and with Halloween now upon us decided to make a pair (I posted to “made It” above). They’ve been out in the yard a day now and are already attracting attention from passers by. Kudos to MakeBuildModify for the inspired idea! I may add to them each year :-)

MakeBuildModify

Great job! Thank you for sharing! Love it.

angelatb2
angelatb2

1 year ago on Step 1

Can I buy one from you?!

MakeBuildModify

Sorry, But it's too expensive to ship them.

Reply 2 years ago

Love the pumpkin man!

Hobbyist01
Hobbyist01

Reply 2 years ago

Thanks! I used wood a few years ago, but it is is not as stable. .I was also going to make a 'scare-us wheel' (ferris wheel) using a 6-8' diameter natural gas cable spool, but between work and the plague, did not have time to start, so it will have to wait until next year. Multi-month project. Your spiders are still in the realm of possibility!

Reply 2 years ago

Yeah, there's still enough time to get a couple built.

Hobbyist01
Hobbyist01

Reply 2 years ago

Congratulations on winning the contest! I ended up making one large one, and a lot of people loved it. Maybe more next year. Thanks again for the inspiration and have fun with your winnings!

fhfagan
fhfagan

Question 2 years ago on Introduction

OUTSTANDING!!!! Already downloaded the info. Only question I have at this point is size of rebar for the legs. Think, but not sure, that First section is 5/8 >>>> Second section is 1.2 >>> third & fourth sections out of 3/8th and you grind down the fourth section a bit to get the point. Am I correct? Sure want to start this one.

Answer 2 years ago

Awesome! Yeah, The smooth round stock is 3/4" then the following rebar sections are 5\8", 1/2", 3/8", 3/8" in that order.

Reply 2 years ago

Also, if you look at the last set of legs (you can see in in the video thumbnal nearest the abdomen) I bent the first section to make room for the larger pumpkin. I forgot to show that part.

fhfagan
fhfagan

Reply 2 years ago

Think this will be fun. Am jamb up right now playing with my plasma cutter and making gifts for friends and family for Christmas, Think I'll start this in January. Might not look as good but I am a 77 year retired GI d rookie at all this stuff.

Reply 2 years ago

It's an easy project. Plus, it's more art than an exact science. Just make it look how you want it to.

cleo697
cleo697

2 years ago on Step 5

Delightful!! I love spiders and this is great. Wish I had the tools and know-how to make my own. Thank you for sharing.

Reply 2 years ago

You bet! Thanks for stopping by.

Pammilly
Pammilly

2 years ago

I’ll just run out to my garage and make those, NOT. Is that a simple DYI???