Introduction: POOR MAN DIAMOND
My father has a lot of tools that lie around and are not in use anymore. In my school i have been taught to use files, vice, hacksaw and other tools as well. Lastly in school, i made rings out of nuts (nut bolts) using files and hacksaw. When i was just wandering around in the backyard where my father has put all of his tool treasure, i found a rusted hammer head. I thought why not we use this to make something and test my skills that i learnt in school.
And hence this idea came into my mind and thought to make this instructable.
So, lets start this instructable without any further delays.
Hope you enjoy!!!😄
*NOTE:- IT TOOK ME ABOUT 4 DAYS TO COMPLETE THIS*
~ I Used :-
• Hammer head (any metal piece similer to this)
• Colors (optional)
Step 1: REMOVING THE RUST
• Here you will need the hammer head, vice and a file.
• Adjust the hammer head into the vice and put the side from where you hit the nail to the front side
• Now take the file and start to rub it on the hammer tightly ( do not ruin the cylindrical shape of hammer ).
• Only remove the rust from the cylindrical part of the hammer as i did in the above image.
Step 2: THE DESIGN AT THE TOP
• Here you will need a sketch pen ( permanent marker if possible ), vice and file.
• Take the hammer you removed the rust from, take the side of the hammer from where you hit the nail.
• Now take a sketch pen and make a design as i have made in the image above.
• Then adjust the hammer head in the vice and begin to rub the file on the design you've made.
As per the design i have made there are 4 triangles at the corners.
• Hold your file at 45° angle and make rub the file on the triangles in slant position as I did.
• You can also use some tricks that will make it easy to shape.
The trick is that you can make slants 4 sides as i have done on each side and the n on the corners you can rub the file and it will look like a diamond.
• To do this you need to have a clear picture of a diamond in your mind.
Step 3: LETS MAKE OUR DIAMOND LOOK LIKE a DIAMOND
• Here you will need a file and the vice.
• Adjust the hammer in the vice.
• Hopefully you have made the 4 slant sides and now your cylinder is looking like a trapezium.
• Now you would have been noticing that your sides are in 90° with the long sides of the design you made on the top and the edges are in 90° with the triangles on the top.
• Pick up the file and start to rub it on the edges making a triangle like structure that is in 90° with the triangles on the design above. After doing this on each edge, your diamond would have been started appearing like a diamond.
• You can take helps of the picture if not understood.....
Step 4: MAKING THE BASE
• You would be wondering that what will we be doing of the part that is beneath our diamond.
It is nothing but the base of our diamond, which holds the diamond. ( Hopefully you would not have cut down the diamond apart from the whole hammer.
• Now using a hacksaw cut the part that is beneath our diamond from which we removed the rust earlier apart from the whole hammer head. ( That means that we have used the whole cylindrical part of the hammer head to make the diamond and its base )
Step 5: MAKING THE SIDE PORTION
• Here you will need a ruler, hacksaw, file and vice.
• Now take a ruler and make a line all through the round surface of the cylinder like structure taking atleast 2 cm of space between the line and the surface where you hit the nail from.
• After making the line adjust the hammer in the vice and start to make a grove with a hacksaw along the line you made as i did.
• This groove will help you to rub your file on the round side of the cylinder in a slant manner that will help your diamond appear like a diamond.
• Now start rubbing the sides of the cylinder with the help of the groove you have made. Keep in mind that the sides you are making should be in the 90° with the long sides of the design you have made at the top. You can make the groove deeper as you rub sides. ( You have to rub the sides in slant and thin at the bottom so that it looks like a diamond ).
• Your cylinder should look like a 3d trapezium from sides.
( Should have 4 sides from sides ). As i have done in the image.
Note : while you are making the grooves deeper and making the sides slant and thinner, be careful and not make the groove so much deepe that it gets detached from the whole hammer.
Step 6: GIVING YOUR DIAMOND a FINISHING TOUCH
• You would now be that your diamond has some defects and is not as lustrous.
• To make it lustrous and to correct the defects take sand paper and rub it where you see something wrong.
For ex : if you see some side is not straight so make it straight using sand paper.
• You would be noticing that your base is not circular so take a file put it on groud and start to rub your diamond base in a circular motion as i did in the image.
Step 7: COLOUR IT IF YOU WANT.
Colour it with your favourite colors
Step 8: YOUR DIAMOND IS READY.....YOU CAN ALSO USE IT AS a PAPER WEIGHT OR JUST MAKE IT a SHOW PIECE
Participated in the
Hand Tools Only Challenge