Introduction: Owl Potato Block Printing on Bottle
- Block printing is an ancient technique to make paint easily. But with the advance of technology, people developed better-automated printers.
- But still, the handmade block printings are valued and cannot be taken off-shelf because of its artistic angle.
- Block printings are generally made by carving wood.
- But in this instructable, I will be making it with potato, for its simplicity, plus I will be applying it on a whisky bottle.
Step 1: Components
- Whisky Bottle
- Acrylic Paints
- Paint Brushes
- Knife or Peeler
- Empty Container
Step 2: Shaping the Potato Block
- A small potato is chosen so that the shape can be made similar to an owl.
- From a side, potato is cut in cross-section manner.
- The triangular shape is cut, and a depth of the cut is given (approx 1cm)
Step 3: Preparing Bottle
- The stickers on the bottle, are removed by putting it in the water.
- After 10 min the stickers are a bit easier to be removed.
- Sandpaper can be used to remove it by ease.
Step 4: Painting the Bottle Background
- Background of the bottle is painted in orange colour.
- I mixed orange pigment with white acrylic paint to make the perfect colour.
- I used the appropriate paintbrush to paint the bottle orange.
Step 5: Uniform Paint
- Orange colour is uniformly given
Step 6: Painting Branches
- Black paint is applied on the orange background to make it appear as branches of trees
- Black paint is painted from a thick to thin.
Step 7: Making Owls
- Different colours are used to make different owls.
- The shaped potato is taken and paint is applied to it, either by using a paintbrush or putting the block on the paint.
- After it is uniformly applied, the block is pushed against the bottle at the appropriate place, to make it appear that owls are sitting on the branches.
Step 8: Different Colored Owls
- Potato block is painted with different colours to make different coloured owls.
Step 9: Features of Owls
- Eyes are painted with white exterior and Black interior.
- Nose and feet are painted with yellow
Step 10: Alternative Quick Print
- Later I discovered that it can be more easily be painted by full block with eyes and nose on it.
Step 11: Finished
- It can be a wonderful decorative thing for our home.
- Fairy lights can be put inside it to make a wonderful view.
Participated in the
Potato Speed Challenge