Omelette in a Jar

Introduction: Omelette in a Jar

About: I’m a self taught artist, homeschooler, wife, 3 dogs....sometimes I travel the comic convention scene selling my fan art. Living in the humid weird southeast United States. I always have something brewing! …

This quick savory breakfast is packed with protein and easy to customize!

Many different cheeses, meats and vegetables can be used

for a different omelette every week.

Delicious combinations to try:

mushroom, spinach, feta

smoked salmon, dill, butter

onion, green pepper, mushroom

cooked potato, bacon, Colby-jack

roasted tomatoes, parmesan, garlic

The omelette jars will keep for 4 days in a cold refrigerator.

These can also be dumped into a hot oiled pan for quick cooking.

Make a bunch on Sunday for easy hot breakfasts all week!

Supplies

• 8oz glass jars
  • 2 eggs per jar
  • filling ingredients

Step 1: Gather Ingredients

Prepare the ingredients for a quick assembly line.

For my omelettes I used:

chopped canned potato

diced sweet red pepper

chopped precooked bacon

shredded sharp cheddar cheese

2 eggs per jar

onion salt

black pepper

Step 2: Customize the Ingredients

Place 1/8-1/4 cup of each filling ingredient in each jar

This is where I create several different omelettes for my family’s needs and tastes.

Some have no cheese for the lactose sensitive and some have no peppers for the vegetable hater.

Step 3: Add the Eggs

Gently break 2 eggs in each jar trying not to break the yolks....this will help keep the

eggs fresh for the week.

Top with 1/4 tsp onion salt and black pepper

Step 4: Lid and Label

Scew caps on tightly

Label tops with permanent marker

Store in refrigerator

Step 5: Cooking

Shake the jar vigorously to break up the yolks and combine the ingredients

Remove lids!

Cover jar with paper towel and place in microwave

Step 6: Microwave

You'll need to experiment with this step to get your eggs exactly as you like.

In my microwave I cook the omelette jar like this:

1.microwave 30 seconds

2.stir well

3.microwave 30 seconds

4.stir well

5. microwave 30 seconds

6.cool a bit before eating

The jar is HOT!

I use the paper towel to remove the jar from the microwave for stirring......

you could use oven mitts for better protection

Enjoy a hot high protein breakfast every morning!

Mason Jar Speed Challenge

Participated in the
Mason Jar Speed Challenge

Be the First to Share

CNC and 3D Printing Contest

Lamps Challenge

Pagan Wizard
    Pagan Wizard

Tip 2 years ago

A great way to help preserve these even longer throughout the week, is to use a product found on Amazon called Bloxygen, which is a word the company made up for "blocks oxygen". It is nothing more than 100% (non toxic) argon gas, which is 25% heavier than oxygen. You just spray a little into your jar, and cap it up. Oxygen is one of foods worst enemies, this actually preserves your food for a longer period of time. It has many other great uses too, check it out. No, I do not work for the company.

Reply 2 years ago

I have NEVER heard of this magic....but I just looked it up and you’re correct! It would work perfectly in these breakfast jars! I’m gonna have to buy a can right away😀. Thank you for telling me about it

Pagan Wizard
    Pagan Wizard

Reply 2 years ago

You're very welcome.

JLHASH
    JLHASH

2 years ago

Awesome.. ty

Reply 2 years ago

Thank YOU! I hope it makes eating hearty breakfast a lil easier for you 😊

JLHASH
    JLHASH

Reply 2 years ago

You're welcome and thanks again. I am certain it will 😊

clark5113
    clark5113

2 years ago

This looks delish but I loves me some eggs. I'm gonna have to use a pint jar (or possibly a quart:)

Reply 2 years ago

Hahahahaha....NOBODY needs a quart of eggs🤣🤣🤣. But if you’re working hard all day, a pint is just fine 😂. I appreciate your comment!😄

spark master
    spark master

2 years ago

This is a phobia for me, I am sure it is fine. I was taught for breakfast service, you break say 5 dozen and whip, then put through a huge fine strainer, for the ultimate fluffy omelettes. It also lets you standardize the omelette by weight/or a measuring dipper. (ladles usually are made in sizes, by volume, Metric and English). This can be done the night b4 service or morning of, and I was told they keep 2 3 days, kept at about 35 degrees F.near freezing.

You can freeze these raw and thaw as needed, IF , these bottles can handle the freeze with the liquid eggs.

Raw eggs are used sometimes to grow bacteria, the thought of cracking then add stuff and letting sit raw overnight is making me jittery, but a weeks worth?? Cook'm
    all (you can water bath them if you like), cool then cover and
    friggerate, nuke to warm.

The concept is great for overnight camping, I would crack them on site, but all the other fix'ns can be measured and bottled, then, (for me) drop in fresh cracked eggs, shake till you like, uncover and maybe leave lid on without the canning ring, and put into a water bath.

You can put a drop of soap and some left over hot water in the bottles shake, dump and recover bring home to clean.

This should go in the Mason jar Challenge, looks pretty nice!

Reply 2 years ago

You bring up some GREAT points! Food safety is serious and it sounds like you have knowledge! I love your idea of cooking ahead in a water bath and reheating. I’m going to try that and see how the eggs are. I have found that if I crack the eggs very carefully to not break the yolk they keep fresh for 4 days. Thank you for your feedback! Keep it coming!

bbrightmarke
    bbrightmarke

2 years ago

The title says overnight however having read the recipe it just speeds up the prep time.

Reply 2 years ago

I think I should have created a different title. I’ll definitely be more aware of that next time!

JAMESM466
    JAMESM466

2 years ago

I’ve done a lot of overnight egg casseroles, but this is a game changer. Thanks!

Reply 2 years ago

Yay!😊. My teens don’t like sweet breakfasts...no cereal, no pop tarts, no oatmeal. This gives them a quick savory breakfast

Seawitch_SC
    Seawitch_SC

2 years ago

I’m definitely going to try this. But I would never consider canned potatoes myself. I would use leftover oven fries, chopped, bake and cool my own potato, or leftover potatoes from another meal chopped.

Reply 2 years ago

I didn’t even think oven fries! Great idea!

Meglymoo87
    Meglymoo87

2 years ago

Lol, from the title I thought the eggs were some how cooking overnight! Lol

Reply 2 years ago

Oh no! I can see, now, how my title isn’t as clear as it could be 😀

Reply 2 years ago

Thank you! Breakfast MUST be super simple or my teens will just skip it