Introduction: How to Make a Dream/Vision Board: Goals Don't Happen Until They're Made
If you are scared of the future, you are not alone! Like riding a bike, at first, it is scary but the more familiar you become with it the more confidence you will build. A dream board is the perfect way to think through and gain confidence in what you are doing and want to do.
- 1 Piece of Cardboard/Posterboard
- 1 Stencil approx. 12"x12" (we chose a star
- approx. 1'x1', but you can choose any shape)
- 1 Pair of Scissors
- 1 Packet of Construction Paper
- 1 Glue Stick
- 1 Pack of Markers
- Meaningful Pictures/Quotes
Step 1: Create Your Goals
- On a sheet of paper, make 6 columns
- Name each column one of the following: Family, School, Finance, Personal, Material, Leisure.
- Write 2-3 goals for each category
- Example of Financial Goal: Save $200 per month to save up for a car.
**This will not be used in your vision board, but is to help get you thinking about your goals/visions**
Step 2: Gather Equipment
- Construction Paper
- Glue stick - Adhesive for your goals and images onto the board.
- Scissors - Cutting images out of the magazines and/or colored paper as background to writing.
- Markers/Sharpies - Personalizing and designing your goals.
- Magazine - Meaningful pictures or quotes of things related to you.
- Printed out pictures
Step 3: Making Your Board
- Trace star stencil onto the cardboard.
- Cut the cardboard along the tracing
Step 4: Incorporating Your Goals
- Find images in magazines or online, printed pictures, and/or write down words that relate to your goals on construction paper
- Cut out the images you found and words you wrote
- Align them on the board in a way that makes sense to you
- Example: placing one picture slightly on top of the other to symbolize the connection between the two.
- Glue images/words to your board