Introduction: Halloween Pinwheel Cookies
Finally it's, the best month out of the year, Halloween. With that comes the best part of Halloween, treats. These Halloween pinwheel cookies definitely put you in the Halloween spirit.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp backing powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- green and purple (gel) food coloring.
- Sprinkles (any kind)
Step 2: Directions
- Take the flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift ingredients it into a separate bowel and set aside.
Step 3: Directions
- In a bowel take your sugar and softened butter. With an electric mix the sugar and butter till it is smooth and fluffy.
Step 4: Directions
- When the sugar and butter is done go ahead and add one of the eggs. Mix them together till it is incorporated. Then add the second and mix till incorporated.
Step 5: Directions
- After you add the eggs take you bowel of dry ingredients and add half the bowel to the mixture. Mix until it is combined and then add the second half. When it is done and all combined it will resemble crumbs.
Step 6: Directions
- Take the mixture in your hands and combine into one solid ball. Separate the ball into two parts and place in separate bowels
- At this point add purple to one ball and green to the other. Mix each ball separately till you achieve a solid color throughout.
Step 7: Directions
- At this point you are going to want to put your balls of dough in the fridge for 1 - 4 hours. Place each ball on a piece of cling wrap and wrap till covered and put in the fridge.
Step 8: Directions
- After your balls of dough have been cooled remove them from the fridge. On a flat surface sprinkle with flour and place one ball of dough down. Dust the top and your rolling pin with more flour.
- Roll your dough into a rectangle shape and cut off the sides to form the rectangle.
Step 9: Directions
- Lay both of your rectangles next to each other. With your roller drape the purple dough over it and place it on top of the green rectangle
- Once they are well lined up begin to roll it into a cylinder.\
- You are going to want to put it back in the fridge for 1 - 4 hours as it has warmed up since you have been working with it.
Step 10: Directions
- Remove your dough from the fridge and it is ready for sprinkles.
- I chose black sprinkles for the outside of my roll. But you can use whatever sprinkles you like though
- Press you cylinder into the sprinkles. Not to hard as you don't want to smoosh it.
- There might be some parts, like on mine, where the sprinkles won't stick. If you find this happening to you sprinkle some of the excess on the bare area and push it lightly in. It took a few passes but most of it should end up covered in sprinkles.
Step 11: Directions
- Turn your oven on to 325 degrees
- Take your roll and with a sharp knife cut 3/4 inch circles
- Line your pans with parchment paper ( I ended up not having any and they still turned out perfectly)
- Place the circles on the pan and cook them for 13 - 15 minutes.
Step 12: Directions
- When the time is up take the cookies out of the oven.
- To check if they are done I ususally turn one over to see if it is lightly brown which is what you want.
- Move to a cooling rack and enjoy
Participated in the