Introduction: Ghost in a Jar
This Ghost in a Jar is a wonderful way to add a little spooky, seasonal ambience to your (not so) haunted house. This project requires no crazy materials, no technological know-how, and only an afternoon of family fun and crafting!
- 1 plastic mason jar
- 1 electric tea light
- 2 large cotton balls
- 1 sheet of white paper
- 1 sheet of brown paper
- A few feet of twine
- Aluminum foil
- Pair of scissors or hobby knife
- Hot glue gun
- Extra glue
- Black paint & paintbrush
- Black pen
- Black marker
- Candle & matches
- 1 (old) knife
- Some Halloween spirit!
Step 1: Build a Ghost!
- Lay out your two cotton balls
- Slice one in half, and mold part of the fuzz into a cone
- Hot glue the cone to the remaining cotton ball, shaping the cone to look like part of the ball
- Use a marker to color a pair of eyes
- Cut out the eyes and glue them onto your ghost!
Step 2: Get the Jar Ready!
- Bring your candle, jar, and an old knife outside, or somewhere with good ventilation
- Heat the knife over the candle (be careful!)
- Carve a hole into the bottom of the jar (like a jack o' lantern!)
Step 3: Decorate Your Ghost's New Home!
- Paint a 1.5 in. strip along the top & bottom of the jar with black paint
- Cut a strip of brown paper that can cover the rest of the jar
- Cut a small hole (about 2 in. wide, and 1.5 in. tall) towards the top of the strip
- Glue the strip to the jar
Step 4: Add Some Flair!
- Cut a length of twine to wrap around the jar's rim
- Finish it off with a bow!
Step 5: Back to the Ghost!
- Hot glue your ghost to the top of the electric tea light
- Wrap a small piece of aluminum foil around the light (This should make the light just a bit too thick to fit in the hole you carved in the jar!)
- Hot glue the foil to the light for stability
Step 6: Welcome Home!
- Gently place the ghost and light into the jar
- Balancing the ghost inside, carefully glue it in place through the hole you carved earlier
Step 7: Details!
- Using black paint and a brush, decorate the paper!
- I painted some scraggly trees and spooky clouds, but anything goes!
Step 8: A Finishing Touch
- Cut out a small tag from your sheet of white paper
- Decorate the tag! You could write your ghost's name, or a spooky warning like I did!
- Use a dab of hot glue to attach it to the jar!
Step 9: Light It Up!
- You've worked hard-- now you can sit back and enjoy! Turn on your ghost and put him somewhere spoooooky!
Participated in the
Mason Jar Speed Challenge
1 Person Made This Project!
- adiosspain made it!