Introduction: DIY Modern Accent Wall
It's been a hot minute since I posted a tutorial, but I have been working on a little something behind the scenes...A BABY! And now it's time to get the nursery ready. I've always wanted to do one of these geometric accent walls and I thought baby's room would be the perfect spot. I love how subtle and modern this accent wall is and I love how EASY it was! Make sure you stay tuned and see what other DIYs come out of getting baby's room ready!
Click here so you don't miss a video! https://bit.ly/2Xe639L
JOIN ME ONLINE: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/timberandtea_
1"x2" pre primed MDF- https://www.homedepot.ca/product/alexandria-mould...
18 gauge brad nailer- https://homedepot.sjv.io/q5m9b
1 1/2" brad nails- https://homedepot.sjv.io/q5m9b
Paint- This colour is Black Bamboo by Behr
Step 1: DIY Modern Accent Wall
The first thing I did was draw out my design on graph paper.
You can use either wood or MDF for your accent wall. I chose to go with MDF since it will keep it's shape better and be less likely to warp or bow.
I also decided to pre-paint all my pieces BEFORE putting them up on the wall to save myself the trouble of painting all the edges and getting in all the corners with a brush once it was up, which I would definitely recommend.
I started with my frame. You can do a frame, or not, but I feel like it looks more finished with it framed in. If you decide to do a border, make sure you measure all 4 side of your wall and not just the bottom and side as there could be even an 1/8" difference between the top and bottom of the wall and you don't want that kind of gap in your wood or MDF.
I used an 18 gauge brad nailer with 1 1/2" nails but you could also use a 16 gauge brad nailer, you would just have slightly bigger nail holes to fill.
Check out my full video tutorial to see how I measured and spaced my boards.
I used spackle to fill my nail holes and my seems and then gave it a light sand. Then I vacuumed my entire wall and wiped it with a slightly dampened cloth before touching it up with one more quick coat of paint.
I rolled over the front faces of all my boards for my final touch up. I used Black Bamboo paint by Behr.