Catgenie : How to Use Refilled 120 SaniSolution Cartridge

Introduction: Catgenie : How to Use Refilled 120 SaniSolution Cartridge

***** Warning this requires modification to your CatGenie 120. Your warranty will be voided. *****

Background:

The CatGenie 120 SaniSolution cartridges use and RFID tag monitor the remaining used cycles. THe RFID tag has to countdown counters that are reduced by one each time the CatGenie runs a clean cycle. When the counters reach zero the cartridge is considered empty. The counters can only be reduced in value witch prevents you from just refilling the cartridge and reusing it.

Information:

The CatGenie RFID reader uses the CR14 RFID reader chip.

The Cartridges use the SRIX4K-A4S_1GE RFID tag.

Goal:

Emulate the RFID reader and tags used by the CatGenie 120 so that refilled SaniSolution cartridges can be used.

Tools needed:

1. Wire cutters
  2. Soldering iron
  3. Drill
  4. Needle nose pliers
  5. Philips head screw driver (long shaft)

Supplies used:

1. Arduino Nano (or compatible)
  2. Double sided mounting tape
  3. 6 inches wire (I used 22 gauge solid core.)
  4. Solder

Step 1:

The CatGenie connects to the RFID reader via I3C bus connection.We will use the Adruino wire library to connect to the CatGenie, To the CatGenie, the Adruino appears as a RFID reader. The Adruino needs to respond as if it was the RFID reader reading a tag.

Open CatGenie housing by removing 4 screws. One of the screws is covered by the anti tamper warranty sticker.

Unplug jumper from RFID board.

Drill hole to run wire from Adruino to connector for RFID reader in case.

Step 2:

Upload CatgenieCartridgeEmulation-3.ino file to the Adruino.

Using the wire connect. (directions are for Adruino Nano. Consult pinouts if using a different board)

• White wire to Adruino pin A4.
  • Black wire to Adruino pin A5
  • Red wire to Adruino Power(5v)
  • Blue wire to Adruino Ground

Step 3:

Using double sided mount Adruino to the CatGenie.

When reset, the Adruino resets the count to 120.

To use a refilled cartridge, insert cartridge as normal and press the reset on the Adruino.

Watch this video on how to refill the cartridge.

Step 4: ​Version 2:

I added EEPROM storage of the remaining counter and change cartridge button. This will preserve the remaining counter though a power down cycle. Pressing the button will flash the onboard LED and reset the counter to 120.

Upload CatgenieCartridgeEmulation-5.ino to Arduino.
Version 5 fixes bugs in found version 4.

Connect normally open push button to D2 and Ground. If you do not connect the switch you must upload CatgenieCartridgeEmulation-3.ino to Arduino.

13 People Made This Project!

Anything Goes Contest

4 months ago

I would like to see how much interest there is for doing a project for the Catgenie AI. If you are interested in this please reply to this comment.

jmoyaprofesor
jmoyaprofesor

Reply 5 weeks ago

#OwenM54#
My wife and my 4 cats are very happy to know about your intentions.
Thanks for your work!!

greyland
greyland

Reply 7 weeks ago

Yes please. Would save me tons of money. I have the AI and a nano. Am totally willing to be a test subject.

emakgunduz
emakgunduz

Reply 3 months ago

I'm super interested! Please Sir invent a cartridge for an ai too please!

Highzenburg
Highzenburg

Reply 3 months ago

Extremely interested!

warrenbiao
warrenbiao

Reply 3 months ago

I am very interested.

randyest
randyest

Reply 4 months ago

Definite interest here. I hacked my 120 and it's been great for years, but now it's starting to die. I heard the AI uses some kind of encryption, not that that can prevent all hacks, but I don't plan on buying an AI unless I'm sure I can use my refilled or empty and hosed to a cheap green cleaning solution bottle.

jmoyaprofesor
jmoyaprofesor

5 weeks ago

Yesterday my Catgenie burned..., so yesterday I bought a new Catgenie (€480 in Spain).

The NANO and UNO brothers are ready to be installed in a new Catgenie :)
I hope it continues to work as well as ever!!!
=ESP=
Ayer se quemó mi Catgenie.., así que ayer compré un nuevo Catgenie (480€ en España).
Los hermanos NANO y UNO están preparados para ser instalados en un nuevo Catgenie :)
Espero que siga funcionando tan bien como siempre

ardu.jpgIMG_20221031_171442.jpg
morre76
morre76

Question 8 weeks ago

Hi friends,
Second question in here :)
My motor of the pump is not working well due to a leak that caused rust.
Attaching an image of the original motor (which is not available anymore - model is 49kytz).
I've found replacement (attached link: below), but it seems weird to me that the required rpm is just 5.
Wondering if some digits erased.
Can someone help and confirm if indeed its 5 rpm?
Seems very slow (my motor, the defective, seems much faster when it working (need help to start rolling)

Potential replacement:
Motor 50KTYZ:

IMG_20220930_111423.jpg
warrenbiao
warrenbiao

Answer 7 weeks ago

My motor model is:60KTYJ-52B

morre76
morre76

Answer 7 weeks ago

Thanks Owen !

Reply 7 weeks ago

You're welcome.

Answer 8 weeks ago

You need to get the 50 rpm motor. Also make sure that the mounting holes are the same. I am going to do an instructable on replacing this motor. This the motor I removed from my CatGenie. I live in the U.S. so the motor I need is 60 rpm and 110 Volts.

20221012_202333.jpg

Reply 8 weeks ago

This is the nearest match I could find for my motor. The Shaft is different so I need to make a new gear for it.
I bought it here. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802683938042.ht...
I purchased the 60 rpm 110 volt one.
You would need the 50 rpm 220 volt one.

20221012_202407.jpg
jrfoster00
jrfoster00

Question 7 months ago

Anyone test this on Cat Genie AI yet? I don't have a Nano to test with. Only have an UNO

Answer 7 months ago

It is my understanding that this will not work with the Cat Genie AI.

jrfoster00
jrfoster00

Reply 7 months ago

Thanks, I'm going to pop it open and just see what it looks like anyway. If there is a bus to the reader (not incorporated into main board), I can see if this works.

jrfoster00
jrfoster00

Reply 7 months ago

@OwenM54
Looks like you are right Owen. The RFID signal is completely integrated into the DC board. I've attached some pictures of the DC board from my AI unit. You can clearly see the antenna built right in. The wifi modem is hosted on this board as well as all the signals for the DC motors. There 4 or 5 harnesses coming off to various motors and controls.

So unfortunately, your awesome hack definitively will not work on the Cat Genie AI. Other avenues (which probably will never be explored) would be a custom firmware...some body on another forum said this is too hard because it needs to cover the AC and DC board; or an RFID writer...maybe with a Raspberry Pi and an RFID module. I realize that the SRIX4K has a read/write protect feature as well as anti clone and deactivate features but maybe someone out there can spoof the authentication to rewrite it.

Anyway, we can put this one to bed...for now.

PXL_20220509_135538116.jpgPXL_20220509_135542666.MP.jpgPXL_20220509_135552646.MP.jpgPXL_20220509_140145178.jpgPXL_20220509_140153910.MP.jpg

Reply 5 months ago

Thank you for the pictures. I believe that they are using the same RFID reader chip that they used in the Cat Ginie 120. If this is the case it should be easy to modify the controller board to use my hack.

If the RFID reader chip is removed and the arduino pin A4 to pin 9 for the RFID reader chip and arduino pin A5 to pin 10 for the RFID reader chip.I don't have a Cat Genie AI to try this with. If I am wrong about the chip used you could damage the control board beyond repair.

CatGenieAI.png
michail1
michail1

Question 5 months ago

We have a Catgenie (normal) Not the 120. The wires from the motherboard connect to contact on the cartridge receiver. So, no RFID. We tried as a test, but without success. We've also noted that some people have had different cable connection colors and to follow up from the motherboard to make sure they match and they do. Noticed that the motherboard has a blank spot for what jack that appears it was prior to RFID. Is there a solution to the old original cat genie or out of luck?

catgenie.jpg