Introduction: Car Phone Holder With Popsicle Sticks (Easy)
If you do prefer video
from the presentation,
just click the play button.
- Popsicle sticks (big size and small size)
- wooden cubes (15x15 mm) (if you do not have you can stack many identical off-cuts of Popsicle sticks one on top of the other)
- wood glue (or pva glue)
- construction adhesive (or epoxy glue)
- a binder clip
- more binder clips or clothes pegs (not necessary but helpful as clamps)
- utility knife to cut the sticks
- a metal ruler or something similar to guide the utility knife in order to easily cut the Popsicle sticks straight.
- a cutting surface of any kind (old piece of wood, old disk, old cardboard)
Step 1: Car Phone Holder With Popsicle Sticks
I will show my idea
how to make a car phone holder that bites to the car vents,
using a binder clip and Popsicle sticks.
It is very interesting, very strong and super functional.
Step 2: Plan and Measure
Use your phone (and a ruler ! ha ha) to take measurements and estimate
- how big the holder is going to be,
- how snug the phone will fit,
- the accessibility of the phone buttons,
- where the binder clip is going to be glued.
As you can see i chose the right side of the holder to accommodate the binder clip,
therefore i left the Popsicle sticks extended.
Step 3: Cut and Glue
It is better to cut the Popsicle sticks to size before gluing them.
Using wood-glue, join the Popsicle stick pieces no more two or three at a time
and hold them in place using pegs or other binder clips (like woodworkers do with their clamps ha ha ).
Use the construction adhesive to join the binder clip to the Popsicle holder body.
This bond will be extremely strong, since construction adhesive is
especially effective with wood to metal surfaces.
Step 4: Decoration
If you like you can sand it (highly recommended),
paint it, or coat it with protective spray, or varnish (recommended).
A simple homemade coat is made with 2 parts pva glue and 1 part water.
(As you see in the picture, I did both sanding with 220 grit, and the simple pva coat!! )