Introduction: Ball in the Hole
Amidst the lockdown due to the pandemic, ages 20 and below were not permitted to leave their houses. In relation, children are unable to go to playgrounds and toy stores. With this in mind, the group has come up with a game for the kids to enjoy. Ball in the Hole is basically like billiards for kids. There is a misconception and stigma that this kind of game can only be for adults but, with what the group has come up with, the stigma can prevail.
When assembling the playing ground of the game, which is the base, the presence of Accuracy and Precision is applied by assuring that the nails are aligned with the accurate measurements indicated. As so, the base will be the playing ground of the players, therefore if assembled inaccurately and imprecisely, it could affect the game. Moreover, upon playing the game itself, Vector and Vector Addition is present throughout the gameplay of the player, through the use of concepts in magnitude and direction as the cue ball interacts with the other marbles and creates motion with specific distance and direction. The direction of the ball can be represented through a graphical arrow and the length represents the magnitude. When the marbles hit the wall or create contact with other marbles, then it is expected to also cause a change in direction. it represents Vector Additions, more specifically, the Tip-to-tail method.
Furthermore, Kinematics is also present in the game. This is defined as the part of mechanics that describes the motion without regard to its causes. It focuses on the one-dimensional motion. How can one win the game with the use of the concepts of kinematics? As we take into consideration the speed of the marble as it hits other marbles to arrive at its desired goal. Also, the distance and displacement of each marble away from each other and the desired holes. When the players use these concepts, there is a high possibility that they can win the game.
- Nails – these are used in every corner of the board and leaves holes for the ball to shoot in
- Rubber bands – these will be the sides so that the balls will not go outside the board
- Thumbtacks (optional) – it is the same as the purpose of the nails, but it depends if you want a safe material
- Rectangular wood – this will be the base of the game; it is where the game will be conducted
- Marbles – these balls are important so that you can play the game
Step 1: How to Assemble the Base?
IMPORTANT NOTE: ADULT ASSISTANCE IS NEEDED FOR THESE STEPS TO ENSURE SAFETY OF CHILDREN
- Prepare needed materials for the base of the game
- Cover the piece of wood with any color of felt paper or any type of cloth you desire to make your board look presentable
- Insert thumbtacks to secure the placement of the felt paper or any chosen cloth on the board
- Put two (2) nails on each corner of the boards, and another two (2) in between the corners. Leave a gap so that the marble can pass through it
- To prevent the marbles from entirely exiting the board, place rubber bands on the nails
Step 2: How to Play the Game?
Grab a friend to play with. This game needs two (2) players
- The players need to set the 10 marbles in the middle of the board (pyramid style).
- Each player must pick a marble that they will use to strike the other marbles that are arranged in the middle of the board.
- The 2 players need to decide who will be the first one to strike the marbles in the middle of the board using their cue ball or ‘pato’ or their chosen marble.
- You need to use your index finger or your other fingers to hold your ‘pato’, and you need to apply force in your fingers to strike the other marble using your ‘pato’ or your chosen marble.
- The players need to shoot the marbles inside the holes that are located at the side and corners of the board, but if they fail to shoot their marble, the player needs to stop and it will be the other player’s turn. And if it is your turn, shoot as many marbles as you can but if you miss you need to stop to give chance to the other player.
The player that has the most shoot marbles in the holes will be the winner.
GOOD LUCK! ☺